In Mandalay, the commercial stores may be lacking while the local shops are many and there are several markets to be found offering shoppers a wide array of products to choose from. Mandalay is known as an ideal destination for buying precious gems, jewelry, handicrafts and so on. It also offers a variety of souvenirs such as sculptures and Buddha images. Here are top 10 the best gift and specialty shops in Mandalay.
Rocky is considered as one of the best Mandalay handicrafts shops offering traditional arts and crafts as lacquer, puppets, carvings and stuffed ‘gold-thread’ appliqué tapestries, plus gems and jade. All items are very nice, meaningful and served by polite staffs.
– Opening Hours: Daily from 8:30 – 20:00
– Location: 27th Street, 62/63, Mandalay
2. King Galon
King Galon is the most gold leaf workshops in Mandalay with a wide range of souvenir handicrafts. The tourists come to King Galon not only buy gifts but also can understand about the wonderful gold-pounding process.
– Opening Hours: Daily from 8:00 – 18:00
– Location: No 143 36th Street, Between 77th & 78th Street, Myet Parr Yart, Mandalay
3. Sut Ngai
Sut Ngai sells Kachin fabrics and costumes. This kind of goods are suitable for both local people and the travelers.
– Opening Hours: Daily from 8:00 – 20:00, Monday – Saturday
– Location: 33rd Street, 82/83, Mandalay
4. Shwe Pathein
Coming to Shwe Pathein, the tourists can gaze with a beautiful leather-workshop and a gold-leaf shop. All things are pretty nice at reasonable prices.
– Opening Hours: Daily from 8:00 – 17:00
– Location: 141 36th Street, 77/78, Mandalay
Zegyo is a real typical Asian shopping experience for the visitors in Mandalay. It is close to the street fruit market and not far from the railway station. Zegyo sells everything from food to clothing to jewelry.
– Opening Hours: Daily from 8:00 – 20:00
– Location: 84/86th, 26/28th, Mandalay
6. Golden Rose
Golden Rose brings to the travelers not only wonderful souvenirs but also a full picture of the beating process that impresses the tourists those who come here.
– Opening Hours: Daily from 7:00 – 20:00
– Location: 36th Street, 78/79, Mandalay
7. Ocean Super Center
Ocean Super Center is a central best-stocked supermarket in Mandalay. This place owns variety of goods for the visitors to try and buy.
– Opening Hours: Daily from 9:00 – 21:00
– Location: Diamond Plaza basement, 78th Street, 33/34, Mandalay
8. Aung Nan Myanmar Handicrafts workshop
Aung Nan Myanmar Handicrafts workshop produces well-made wood carvings, elaborates beaded embroidery, traditional puppets and even has a little ivory carving section to round things out. The travelers can choose many nice items as jade products, wood carvings, furniture, decorative products (carpet, throw pillow cover), elephant tusk products and longyi.
– Opening Hours: 9:00 – 18:00
– Location: No 97 98, 99 Mandalay-Sagaing By Pass Road, Opposite To the Myohaung Warehouse, Pyitawthar Quarter, Chanmyathazi Township, Mandalay
9. Sein Myint
Sein Myint is known as a wonderful museum and art gallery with vibrant, lovely paintings and detailed embroidered pictures.
– Opening Hours: 9:00 – 19:00
– Location: No. 42 Sanga University Road, Nan Shei Qr., Mandalay
10. Dream Merchant
Dream Merchant serves the tourists unusual souvenirs as nice bronzes from the Naga tribes up north and so on at affordable price.
– Opening Hours: 10:00 – 19:00
– Location: E Block, First Floor Zaygo Market, Mandalay
Source: Myanmar tour packages